It's time for what I affectionately call "the 'ber months". As a Florida girl, I start getting cold in September as temperatures drop below 90 degrees. This is when we also tackle some indoor general maintenance items that should be kept up with annually.
Here are 10 Ways to get Your Home Ready for Fall:
- Laundry Room: Clean valve and filter in your washing machine. Check that your dryer vents and hoses are clear of lint.
- Under all sinks: clean and discard unused products and check for any faucet or pipe leaks.
- Medicine cabinet: throw away old medications and organize.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors: check batteries. Replace detectors over 10 years.
- Lawn & Garden: pull weeds, trim hedges, plant cold-tolerant flowers. Add an excessive layer of mulch to help young and vulnerable plants through the cooler temperatures to come.
- Electrical: test and reset all ground fault circuit interrupter receptacles.
- Carpets: have them professionally cleaned and pull any loose areas tight.
- Tiled areas: You should check your seals in bathrooms and kitchens, and apply a fresh bead of caulk every 6 months, as necessary.
- Heating: Have your heating system serviced (always do in Fall)
- Porches and Pavers: ensure pavers are all level and there are no trip hazards from tree roots or loose sand. Now is a good time to re-sand and seal pavers or driveway cracks.
Here are some other items we recommend monthly:
- Trash cans: bleach outside trash cans and recycle bins, disinfect inside trash cans (monthly)
- Garbage disposal: run baking soda and citrus fruit rinds through the disposal to freshen the lines and crushed ice to sharpen the blades (monthly)
Want some ideas for decorating your home this month? Our Pinterest board "Home Decorating for Every Occasion" has ideas for ways to decorate your home each month of the year.
Keeping up maintenance on your home is the best way to keep the value of your biggest investment. We put these lists together monthly based on what we see in the real estate market and home inspections. Taking the time to do these things each month can keep you from feeling overwhelmed when you think of selling, and give you peace of mind.
As always, if you need a professional to help you tackle any of these items, give us a call for a reference. 904.826.3690