Happy New Year! You're probably putting away all of your Holiday décor for the season. We want to give you some tips to clean and organize your home office. Here are things you can do in January:
Here are 7 Steps to Refresh Your Home Office:
- Sort all paperwork into KEEP, SHRED or TRASH piles. Determine what papers you absolutely must keep. For documents that contain personal information, shred for safety.
- Clear all desk clutter. Keep only the absolute minimum items you need on your desk. You can utilize desk organizers to store office supplies.
- Organize digital files including pictures. Clutter isn’t just what you see in the room, it is also stored on our computers and phones. Set aside some time to go through your computer files and pictures. Now is the perfect opportunity to clear pictures and unwanted apps off of your phone too!
- Create file folders for: Medical, House, Cars, Past 5 Years of Taxes, Financial documents, pets, manuals, receipts for purchases under warranty.
- Remove items that do not belong in office. Is your office a dumping ground for everything that does not have a “home” in your house? Take the time to sort through everything in your office and get rid of things that don't belong. Stock supplies: printer paper, printer ink, restock envelopes, post-it notes, pens, paper clips, staples, etc.
- Budget: Write down your financial goals for the new year. Draft an updated budget and make a list of irregular yearly expenses (HOA fees, etc.)
- Clean and refresh the space. Dust, vacuum and wipe down all surfaces. It is always good to do a good cleaning after you declutter. You will feel accomplished and your room will have a whole new look.
Here are some other items we recommend monthly:
- Trash cans: bleach outside trash cans and recycle bins, disinfect inside trash cans (monthly)
- Garbage disposal: run baking soda and citrus fruit rinds through the disposal to freshen the lines and crushed ice to sharpen the blades (monthly)
Want some ideas for decorating your home this month? Our Pinterest board "Home Decorating for Every Occasion" has ideas for ways to decorate your home each month of the year.
Keeping up maintenance on your home is the best way to keep the value of your biggest investment. We put these lists together monthly based on what we see in the real estate market and home inspections. Taking the time to do these things each month can keep you from feeling overwhelmed when you think of selling, and give you peace of mind.
As you work your way down the list, remember, we have an extensive network of contractors, landscapers, HVAC professionals, etc. If you need help with anything, give us a call. We’re happy to refer you to a professional we recommend!